Tent Fumigation Company
What is a Tent Fumigation?
I am sure living here in Florida, you have passed by a home that looked like a circus had gotten a hold of it for some magical performance. Although it may look like the circus got a hold of that home, I can assure you that is not the case. The big colorful tent around that home is in place because that home is in the process or recently had a Tent Fumigation. That home had either an infestation of Drywood Termites, Wood Destroying Beetles, Bed Bugs, or a severe Cockroach Infestation. It is called tent fumigation because obviously, it has a tent around the home and because a fumigant gas had been administered into that home. As the gas fills the cubic footage of that home, the gas cannot escape because of the tent. As the gas pressurizes in the home, it starts to slip through all the cracks, crevice, termite-infested locations, etc. It will kill all insects and Wood Destroying Organisms. A Tent Fumigation is the only method of insect control that can kill a target insect regardless of its location within a structure. Unlike other treatment methods, tent fumigation uses a gas that penetrates every possible point of the structure. Drywood termites dubbed the name because unlike Subterranean termites that originate from the ground, Drywood termites do not need constant earth contact nor have to return to the ground for moisture regularly. They can extract enough moisture to survive from the wood they inhabit and feed on. Thousands of homes, businesses, and structures are infected/ infested by Drywood termites each year and can cause thousands of dollars in damage. The longer Termites go untreated in your home, the more damage they cause. This is a pest-related concern that should not be taken lightly nor ignored. Delaying will cause significant irreversible damage.
Tent Fumigation Preparation
When preparing for termite treatment or tenting (For Fumigation), some prep work will need to be done by the homeowner. Please note that these steps are imperative and must be completed for your safety: The list you see here is a general list to allow you a quick idea of the process. Upon hiring Imperial Pest Prevention's subcontracted fumigator, we will supply you with a detailed prep sheet and checklist.
Outside Tent Fumigation Prep Work
* A tent Fumigation process is one that can require much homework for a homeowner. One of the most important things that need to be done is trimming back all shrubs around the house so that the tarps will fall to the ground. (Hint: Wherever rainwater falls around your house is where the tarps will fall and where we need to work) Water the areas around the house near the structure and all plants close by. Tent Fumigation gas kills plants, and this will help to lessen the chance of damage. However, it will not prevent it.
* Any trees that hang closely over the home will also be required to have cuttings and trimmings, so they do not hang over the structure(s).
* Any Fence that touches the structure and does not have a gate or opening will also have to be detached before tent fumigation.
* Pool enclosures are also recommended to be detached as well. Those that are not able to will have to be covered in the treatment. Having a large pool enclosure adds considerably to the home's cubit footage and, therefore, drastically increases the tent fumigation price's price.
* Any cracked windows, doors with bad weatherstripping, etc. will have to be either repaired or covered to ensure the fumigant does not leak from these locations.
* Any sharp objects attached to the home like satellite antennas, window awnings, etc. will be required to be lowered or removed before the tent fumigation.
* Homes that have Gas utilities will be required to be turned off by an authorized company before tent fumigation.
Interior Fumigation Prep Work
*Interior Prep Work for a tent fumigation is a little bit of a smoother process. All food in the home will need to be removed, including anything in the refrigerator and freezer. The Power will be off for three days, so it must be a location that will remain safe for a while.
*Everything in your bathrooms needs to be removed also. If it is consumable or a product you put on your body, it must be removed.
*Mattresses or furniture that have plastic covers on them will have to be removed from the structure or the covers removed before fumigation. (covers will hold fumigants and not allow for proper ventilation.)
* Medications and valuables will also need to be removed before tent fumigation.
Items that Can Remain Indoors During a Tent Fumigation
Bedding... Clothing... Furniture... Dishes!
Since this gas does not settle on anything, there is no need to wash anything. (We at Imperial Pest Prevention still recommend removal of the clothing, silverware, and dishes.
Imperial Pest Prevention will supply you with a customer prep sheet that will explain exactly what needs to be removed and what can stay. Of course, a good rule of thumb is, "If in doubt, take it out!"
Important Circumstances that Will Not Allow for a Tent Fumigation
If your home has foam spray insulation in the attic or under a crawl space, it will not be eligible for tent fumigation. This is because foam insulation holds fumigants and will not allow for the proper clearing of tent fumigation. Be sure to Call Imperial Pest Prevention so we may discuss alternative treatment methods outside of tent fumigation.
* Wood Decay locations with active leaks or moisture will need to be repaired before tent fumigation. Locations containing moisture will not readily accept the fumigant causing the gas not to penetrate those locations. If termites are infesting these locations and moisture is present, the gas will not effectively eradicate that colony.
How Long Does a Tent Fumigation Process Take?
Tenting is an extensive process in which tarps are positioned, secured, and roll seamed with clamps over your home and secured with water snakes or sandbags. The fumigant is administered into the home-based upon the cubic footage of that structure and penetrates all locations of that home.
The short answer is Three Days. Typically, it is prep work, and Fumigant is administered on the first day. An additional 24 hours of Fumigant to remain in the home. The third day usually consists of removal and a clearing process.
Tent Fumigation Prep Sheets
Imperial Pest Prevention will supply you with a customer prep sheet upon being hired. Once Imperial Pest Prevention is hired for the subcontracted Tent Fumigation Services, all paperwork is completed, and payment is received. We will provide you with the information that will explain exactly what needs to be removed and what can stay. Of course, a good rule of thumb is, "If in doubt, take it out!" Please note that we provide free tent fumigation quotes only for those properties we have previously done a WDO inspection. If you wish to have only a tent fumigation quote without the wood destroying organism inspection, we charge a flat rate of $35. Contact us if you have any questions. We are always here to help and answer any concerns you may have.
With a regular pest control program on your home and Termite Treatments, along with annual WDO inspections and keeping your policy renewals in effect, your home will have the best protection to help remain termite and other pests free. As always, Imperial pest prevention has a pest-free guarantee, or we will return at no additional charge. Our friendly office staff and technicians are just a phone call away at 386-956-9506. Contact us today with any questions or concerns you may have. We are here to help.
All content within all web pages on the Imperial Pest Prevention site has been written by Entomologist Jonathan Stoddard to ensure expertise and is subject to copyright.